Secure File Transfer Protocol (sFTP) provides a reliable and secure means of transferring files between a client and a server. In addition to security and efficiency, sFTP clients offer ease of use, with a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy for non-technical users to connect to a server and transfer files. sFTP clients often include advanced file management features such as drag-and-drop transfers and remote file editing.
You will need to download one of the following FTP clients to proceed: (based on OS)
Windows - WinSCP (download here)
MacOS - CyberDuck (download here)
How to connect to your server using sFTP
1. Download and launch your FTP client of choice (we will be using WinSCP for today's example)
2. Click New Session on the left-hand side.
3. Change File Protocol to sFTP.
4. Enter your Hostname, Port, Username, and Password in the empty fields. (FTP login information was sent to you via Email when purchasing a server).
5. Click Save.
6. Assign session any name (ex: "My VPS", "My Server", etc.)
7. Check whether or not you'd like to save the password then press Ok.
8. In order to connect to the server, simply click the session on the left-hand bar then click Login.