Jar Selection?? What are they good for?

Discussion in 'Plugin Suggestions' started by Artiski, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Artiski

Artiski New Member

Total newb here, I am setting my server up for a few family members (adults and kids) and friends. There are so many options under the JAR selection! I know nothing and can't find anywhere this is broken down into understandable info.. like what is each one good for.

I can't even pick the perfect seed yet! This is hopeless! So what are the following good for? (I left off the ones that aren't updated to 1.8).

BungeeCord
    CanaryMod
    CraftBukkit (1.8 Ro:1 BuildTools: 24) <--- all those numbers mean nothing to me.
    Project Rainbow (MC 1.8 Build:50)
    Special: custom.jar
    Special: custommgc.jar
    Spigot (1.8 11/28/14)
    Spigot (1.8 RO:3 BuildTools: 24)
    Vanilla Minecraft 1.8.1 <---- I'm assuming that's just minecraft with nothing fancy

I would love to be able to have a survival server with mobs spawning less often than they do in the vanilla minecraft.. I mean come on Mojang, you can't focus on anything with all the mobs coming at you constantly even on easy mode! I'd like a healthy balance. :D

Any suggestions? Can somebody break these down for me, help me understand! Thanks!

2. Max

Max BisectHosting Staff

BungeeCord - http://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/bungeecord/
    CanaryMod - http://canarymod.net/
    CraftBukkit (1.8 Ro:1 BuildTools: 24) - It's CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.8.x with Build Tools #24 update)
    Project Rainbow (MC 1.8 Build:50) - http://www.project-rainbow.org/
    Special: custom.jar - For running custom .jar files
    Special: custommgc.jar - For running custom .jar files with increased perm gen memory.
    Spigot (1.8 11/28/14) - Spigot 1.8 (www.spigotmc.org/wiki/about-spigot/)
    Spigot (1.8 RO:3 BuildTools: 24) - Spigot for Minecraft 1.8.x with Build Tools #24 update)
    Vanilla Minecraft 1.8.1 - Yup, this one is just regular Minecraft server like you would get from www.minecraft.net

Basically Vanilla is your plain Minecraft as the game creators made it. Then other ones are different server mods that allow you to add plugins to add features.

For example the very popular plugin WorldEdit. You can't have it on a Vanilla server, you need either CraftBukkit or Spigot to run it.

3. Turbotailz

Turbotailz Member

It sounds like you probably want to choose Spigot 1.8, you can modify the mob spawning in the Spigot preferences. More info about editing the spigot.yml file can be found here (under per-world settings).

4. I know the above is an ancient post,
    but someone else might wonder the same.

Going to run spiggot/bukkit type server anyway?
    May I make a suggestion?

Server dropdown lists of jar files...
    Forget that list.
    Auto updates can auto break your plugins and often come
    with loads of bloated backend unfinished snapshot junk inside.

Stop server.
    In the list, choose special: custom.jar
    Now go here. https://paper.readthedocs.io/en/paper-1.10/
    Just replace "paper-1.10" with your version required, chances are there is a page for it.
    Download paper and rename the jar to custom.jar
    Upload it to your server and run after changing the jar selection to use special: custom.jar

You will also need to do the above if want to run a bukkit/spigot version that is not
    in that dropdown list or a snapshot version you specifically need that's not there.
    Just do the above.

Paper?
    Works with all spigot/bukkit plugins 100%
    Comes with loads of performance optimisations.
    TPS +++ Seriously good performance increases
    such as speedy lighting updates, hopper transfer options,
    better chunk handling, streamlined code.
    ###################
    27.10 19:38:40 [Server] INFO This server is running Paper version git-Paper-897 (MC: 1.10.2) (Implementing API version 1.10.2-R0.1-SNAPSHOT)
    27.10 19:38:40 [Server] INFO Checking version, please wait... 27.10 19:38:41 [Server] INFO You are 2 version(s) behind
    ###################
    27.10 19:39:45 [Server] INFO Plugins (49): GroupManager, FastCraftPlus, CoreProtect, dynmap, WorldEdit, UnlimitedRecipes, ClearLag, WorldBorder, Votifier, Multiverse-Core, ProtocolLib, Zenchantments, mcMMO, GAListener, Vault, GiantTrees, PerWorldInventory, LWC, HolographicDisplays, WorldGuard, SignLogger, RandomTeleport, PlayerVaults, LandValue, MagicSpells, MagicSpellsShop, MyPet, Essentials, Autorank, Jobs, PreciousStones, SilkSpawners, EssentialsChat, CS-CoreLib, MyPreciousStone, ChestShop, Dynmap-Essentials, Slimefun, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsGeoIP, Barrels, EssentialsAntiBuild, EssentialsSpawn, Dynmap-PreciousStones, SlimefunGuidePlus, ExoticGarden, SoulJars, SlimefunOres, SlimeScrap
    ###################
    27.10 19:39:02 [Server] INFO [WorldBorder] [Fill] 1088 more chunks processed (322861 total, ~91.7%) (free mem: 7240 MB)
    ###################
    27.10 19:40:06 [Server] INFO TPS from last 1m, 5m, 15m: *20.0, 19.99, 20.0

MMMMM! The sweet taste of WIN!

Need more proof? Try it yourself.

Finally, do not EVER download jars for bukkit/spigot from "some site"
    Only ever use officially released by spigot/paperspigot jars for that.
    I depreciated mappings remapped a bunch of plugins in that list that
    broke way back in 1.8 + 1.9. More win for ya!

You want a win seed for a map?
    Discovered back in 1.8.1 @ minecraftseeds.com
    #1 for many months
    Delicious 1.10 generation.
    Ores, dungeons, villages, biomes, ravines, mineshafts,
    cave networks and map geological features? Awesome distribution!
    Dynmap never lies.
    Compair your chosen seed with the above if you dare! :p
    http://mineatlas.com/

You wanted less mobs? Limits per chunk.
    in bukkit.yml
    spawn-limits:
    monsters:10#this is a tiny amount of mobs! practically non existant. Default is I think 45
    animals: 20
    water-animals: 5
    ambient: 6

How often per second will it check for mob spawn suitability
    ticks-per:
    animal-spawns: 300
    monster-spawns: 20#rarely checks. default is 1
    autosave: 6000

Possibly try spigot instead of bukkit?
    in spigot.yml

entity-activation-range:
    animals: 26
    monsters: 6#practically standing on top of the mob before it reacts to you...
    misc: 15

Also, 1.8.0 is full of trollfaced wild goose chase code that changed considerably
    weeks later in 1.8.1 bukkit. Right after the 1.7.8 EULA, Mojang started their
    incompatibility spams. It has got worse and worse since then.

Use 1.8.1 it's miles better than 1.8.0 bukkit with alot more plugin compatibility!

Hopes this helps. Take care.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016