Combating Server Tick Lag - Any Modded Server on MC 1.7.10

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Suggestions' started by kong009, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kong009

kong009 Member

I've been working with Max and the guys at Bisect to try to narrow down and eliminate the cause of these annoying "server can't keep up, skipping x,xxx ticks" messages, of which we normally get a plethora. I've done some research and changed a couple things on my server, and so far it seems to be paying off.
    1. Install Fastcraft. For those of you experiencing lag related to chunk generation, this mod is a godsend. Written by one of the guys that maintains IC2, Fastcraft vastly improves chunk generation by optimizing memory usage during exploration. It can be used serverside and/or clientside. The mod is very easy to install, just simply drop it in your "mods" folder in your server or client (then restart them) and watch the magic happen. The author requires you to visit the main download page, located here: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=10820. Fastcraft is updated frequently, and as of the time I am writing this post, he is on version 1.12.

2. Update ExtraUtilities to version 1.2.1 or newer. The guys on my server are huge fans of Ender Quarries, including myself. They are much nicer than the normal BuildCraft quarries because they replace what they mine with dirt blocks. However, as is the case with most quarries (except the Quarry Plus mod, which we do not have as part of Direwolf20 pack), some ore blocks drop XP orbs when mined by a quarry. I found that my server was getting crippled by XP orbs spawned by my massive Ender Quarry (something like 50,000 orbs), and the server was lagging badly as a result. Updating to the newer version of ExtraUtilities prevents XP orbs from spawning when the Ender Quarry mines ores. ExtraUtilities gets this update on version 1.0.3 of the new Direwolf20 (MC 1.7.10) modpack.

3. Install Opis. Opis is a wonderful utility for tracking down the causes of server lag. There are many guides on how to install and use Opis available on Youtube, so I won't go into it here. But Opis will show you entities and chunks responsible for server lag. If, for example, you have a million Hecates running around (well actually I have never seen them move before, lol), you can run a kill command via Opis that will kill as many Hecates as it can. At one point we had 380 Hecates in the overworld, so we weren't seeing any other mobs. Once I killed Hecates via Opis, skellies and zombies instantly started spawning like normal... hmm, maybe I shouldn't have killed the Hecates? :)

Specifically for those of you running Direwolf20 on MC 1.7.10, from within the FTB Launcher, before you launch the pack, click the "Edit Mod Pack" button. Opis shows up on the list of currently disabled mods, and you can just move it over using the "<< Enable" button. I would also temporarily disable JourneyMap as Opis adds its own minimap so that they don't conflict. Note that if you are not an Operator on your server, you cannot run any of the kill or teleport commands successfully.

Anyway, those are just a few things I would suggest looking in to if you are experiencing any server tick lagging. Please let me know if you have any questions about what I've written here, I'll be glad to try to explain them further!

Kishu likes this.